Why Eat Scorpions and Other Edible Insects?
Edible insects are a sustainable and nutritious source of protein that can be enjoyed in various ways. One of the most exotic and adventurous ways to eat insects is to use scorpions, which are arachnids that belong to the same class as spiders and mites. Scorpions have a crunchy texture and a mild flavor that can be enhanced by different seasonings and sauces. In this article, we will share some recipes that use scorpions as the main ingredient.
Scorpion Brittle: A Sweet and Crunchy Snack
One of the easiest ways to prepare scorpions is to make scorpion brittle, which is a sweet and crunchy snack that can be enjoyed by anyone who likes candy. To make scorpion brittle, you will need:
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1/4 cup of light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup of water
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/4 cup of roasted scorpions (you can buy them online or roast them yourself in an oven at 200°F for about an hour)
To make the brittle, follow these steps:
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spray it with cooking spray.
- In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, combine the sugar, corn syrup, water and salt. Stir until the sugar dissolves, then stop stirring and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Insert a candy thermometer into the saucepan and cook until the temperature reaches 300°F, which is the hard-crack stage.
- Remove from heat and stir in the baking soda. The mixture will bubble up, so be careful.
- Quickly stir in the scorpions and pour the mixture onto the prepared baking sheet. Spread it evenly with a spatula or a wooden spoon.
- Let it cool completely before breaking into pieces.
Deep-Fried Scorpion: A Light and Crispy Treat
Another way to cook scorpions is to deep-fry them in tempura batter, which is a light and crispy coating that originated in Japan. To make deep-fried scorpion, you will need:
- 12 scorpions (you can use fresh or frozen ones, but make sure they are cleaned and thawed)
- 1 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup of ice water
- Oil for frying
To make the tempura batter, follow these steps:
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, salt and baking powder.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg and ice water.
- Gradually add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and whisk until smooth. Do not overmix or the batter will become tough.
- Refrigerate the batter for about 15 minutes.
To fry the scorpions, follow these steps:
- Heat oil in a deep-fryer or a large pot to 375°F.
- Dip each scorpion into the batter and shake off any excess.
- Carefully drop the scorpions into the hot oil and fry for about 3 minutes or until golden and crisp.
- Drain on paper towels and serve hot.
Marinated Scorpions: A Chewy and Flavorful Snack
A third way to enjoy scorpions is to marinate them in a spicy sauce and then dehydrate them for a chewy and flavorful snack. To make marinated scorpions, you will need:
- 6 scorpions (you can use fresh or dried)
- 4 cups of water
- 2 tablespoons of salt
- 1/4 cup of your favorite hot sauce
- A dehydrator or an oven
To make the marinated stink bugs, follow these steps:
- In a large pot over high heat, bring the water and salt to a boil. Add the stink bugs and boil for about 5 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water.
- Transfer the stink bugs to a large ziplock bag and add the hot sauce. Seal the bag and shake well to coat. Refrigerate for about 24 hours.
- Preheat your dehydrator or oven to 140°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper if using an oven.
- Arrange the stink bugs in a single layer on the dehydrator trays or the baking sheet. Dehydrate for about 8 hours or until dry and crisp.
Scorpions Are Delicious and Sustainable
Edible insects are a great way to diversify your diet and reduce your environmental impact. Scorpions are one of the many insect species that can be eaten and prepared in different ways. In this article, we shared three recipes that use scorpions as the main ingredient: scorpion brittle, deep-fried tarantulas and marinated stink bugs. These recipes are easy to make and can be enjoyed by anyone who likes to try new and adventurous foods. If you are curious about eating insects, why not give scorpions a try? You might be surprised by how delicious they are.